Exmoor House, situated in Exmoor’s highest village, was built in 1910
on the site of four small cottages that were apparently destroyed by
a candle fire. It initially housed a tailor’s shop and was home to
Robert Melhuish, his family and the tailor’s apprentices.
Attached to the shop was the village reading room, with skittle
alley (since demolished), known at the time as the ‘Village Club Room’.
The dining room still has the tailor’s shop window and the original wood panelling, which makes for a light but warm room in which to have breakfast and admire the view of Dunkery Beacon, and the Reading Room has become our guest sitting room with three large comfy sofas, leather, wing backed arm chairs and an open fire - the perfect place to curly up with a mug of hot chocolate on a chilly day. Tea and coffee are also freely available, along with games, jigsaws, maps and books. Guests are welcome to sit and relax or to use the dining table to plan their visit with the help of the all the local information provided.